In this article: Show
You seriously need to know how to remote start a Range Rover – one of the best features – so you can start your engine from a distance, you can preheat or precool your Range Rover before you even step foot inside.
No more sitting in a hot car during the summer or shivering in the winter while your engine warms up.
Read on to learn how to remote start a Range Rover with my super simple guide.
What models are affected?
- Land Rover Defender
- Range Rover Discovery
- Range Rover Evoque
- Range Rover Sport
- Range Rover Velar
- Range Rover Vogue
Remote start is available for modern models in the Range Rover HSE, Supercharged, or Autobiography. But before you rush out and buy the first remote start kit you see, there are a few things you need to consider.
First and foremost, you need to make sure that your Range Rover is compatible with remote start.
Not all models are, and even if your model is compatible, there may be additional requirements you need to meet.
The best way to determine compatibility is to consult your Land Rover manual or contact your local Range Rover dealership.
If your Range Rover is compatible with remote start, the next thing you need to consider is the type of remote start kit you want to install.
There are many different options available, each with its own set of features and benefits.
Some of the most popular options include:
- Smartphone-controlled remote start
- Key fob remote start
- Push-button remote start
Each of these options has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to do your research and choose the one that best fits your needs and preferences.
Once you’ve determined compatibility and choose a remote start kit, the next step is installation.
While some people may be comfortable installing the kit themselves, it’s generally recommended that you have it installed by a professional.
This will ensure that the installation is done correctly and that your remote start system is working properly from the start.
Program the remote start system
The first thing you’ll need to do is read the instructions that came with your remote start system.
These instructions will give you step-by-step guidance on how to program your system.
Make sure you follow the instructions carefully and don’t skip any steps.
Once you’ve read the instructions, you’ll need to locate the programming button on your remote start system.
This button is usually located on the main unit under the dashboard.
Press and hold the programming button until the LED light on the system starts flashing.
Next, you’ll need to press the lock button on your Range Rover’s key fob.
This will send a signal to the remote start system, telling it to program the key fob.
Wait for the LED light on the system to stop flashing.
This indicates that the programming process is complete.
It’s important to note that some remote start systems require additional programming steps.
For example, some systems require you to program the system to recognize your specific key fob.
If this is the case with your system, be sure to follow the instructions carefully and don’t skip any steps.
Once you’ve successfully programmed your remote start system, you’re ready to start using it!
Simply press the button on your key fob to start your Range Rover from a distance.
Enjoy the convenience of being able to warm up your car on a cold morning or cool it down on a hot day.
Activate the remote start system
Now that you have registered and set up your Land Rover InControl Remote & Protect account, it’s time to activate the remote start system.
This feature is incredibly convenient, especially during the colder months when you want to warm up your vehicle before getting in.
To activate the remote start system, follow these simple steps:
- Open the Land Rover InControl Remote & Protect app on your smartphone.
- Select your vehicle from the list of registered vehicles.
- Tap the “Remote Start” button.
- Wait for the app to confirm that the engine has started.
It’s important to note that the remote start feature will only work if your vehicle is within the range of your smartphone’s Bluetooth connectivity.
Additionally, if your vehicle is running on remote start, the Range Rover Key Fob will be inoperative.
You will need to unlock the vehicle by tapping the start/stop button twice and then use the manual release to open the rear hatch.
If you have a smart key or push-to-start system, refer to the vehicle-specific instructions included with your Land Rover’s manual for more information on how to activate the remote start feature.
How to use Range Rover remote start
Using the Range Rover remote start feature is a breeze once you’ve set up the InControl Remote App.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to use it:
- Ensure Safety and Legal Compliance: Before using remote start, it’s important to note that you should always ensure the safety of yourself and those around you. Make sure your Range Rover is parked in a safe location, away from pedestrians and obstacles. Additionally, familiarize yourself with any local laws or regulations regarding the use of remote start in your area.
- Launch the InControl Remote App: Open the InControl Remote App on your smartphone. You’ll be presented with a dashboard showing various options and controls.
- Authenticate: To access the remote start feature, you may need to provide additional authentication, such as entering a PIN or using your device’s biometric authentication method.
- Locate the Remote Start Button: On the app’s dashboard, look for the remote start button. It is usually represented by an icon of a car with curved arrows around it.
- Press the Remote Start Button: Once you’ve located the remote start button, tap on it to initiate the remote start process. This will send a signal to your Range Rover, instructing it to start the engine.
- Wait for Confirmation: After pressing the remote start button, wait for a confirmation message or notification from the app. This will indicate that the signal has been successfully transmitted to your vehicle and that the engine has started.
- Get in and Go: Once you receive the confirmation, you can proceed to your Range Rover. Unlock the doors using the app or your vehicle’s standard key fob. Enter the vehicle, fasten your seatbelt, and drive away.
It’s important to note that some additional features may be available in the InControl Remote App, such as controlling the climate settings, monitoring your vehicle’s location, or locking and unlocking the doors remotely.
Turn off the remote start system
Congratulations! You have successfully started your Range Rover remotely. But what if you need to turn off the remote start system? Don’t worry; it’s pretty simple.
To turn off the remote start system, you need to press and hold the start/stop button until the blue LED blinks.
Once it blinks, release the button, and the remote start system will shut down.
It’s important to note that if the remote start system is left unattended, it will shut down automatically after 25 minutes. So, if you forget to turn it off, don’t worry – it won’t run forever.
Also, keep in mind that when the vehicle is running on remote start, the Range Rover key fob is inoperative, and the rear hatch release won’t work. To unlock the vehicle, you need to tap the start/stop button twice.
That’s it! Turning off the remote start system is as easy as starting it. Just remember to turn it off when you’re done using it to avoid draining the battery or any other issues.
But with proper maintenance and care, your Range Rover can run smoothly and efficiently for years to come.
How can I start my Range Rover remotely?
To start your Range Rover remotely, you can use the Land Rover InControl Remote app. The app allows you to start the engine, set the desired in-vehicle temperature, and lock and unlock the doors from your smartphone.
What is the process for remote starting a Range Rover Sport?
To remote start a Range Rover Sport, you need to follow these steps:
1. Download the Land Rover InControl Remote app on your smartphone.
2. Create an account and link it to your vehicle.
3. Launch the app and select the Remote Start option.
4. Enter your PIN to confirm your identity.
5. Set the desired in-vehicle temperature.
6. Press the Start button to start the engine.
Is there a key fob for remote starting a Range Rover Sport?
No, there is no key fob for remote starting a Range Rover Sport. You need to use the Land Rover InControl Remote app to start the engine remotely.
What is Land Rover InControl and how does it relate to remote starting?
Land Rover InControl is a suite of services and applications that connects you to your vehicle and links you seamlessly with the outside world. The InControl Remote app is one of the services that allow you to start the engine, set the desired in-vehicle temperature, and lock and unlock the doors remotely.
What is the cost for a Land Rover remote start subscription?
The cost for a Land Rover remote start subscription varies depending on the model and year of your vehicle. You can check the Land Rover website or contact your local dealer for more information.
Can I use the Range Rover InControl app for remote starting my vehicle?
Yes, you can use the Range Rover InControl app for remote starting your vehicle as long as your vehicle is equipped with the InControl Remote feature.
As a Range Rover owner and mechanic, I know firsthand the reliability issues that can come with these vehicles. However, with the Land Rover InControl Remote app, starting your Range Rover remotely has never been easier. Just follow the steps outlined above, and you’ll be on your way in no time.
Last updated and verified on 4th September 2023