If your Range Rover is stuck in low range, try this: Start the vehicle, ensure it’s in neutral, press the ‘Low Range’ button, then drive slowly forward or reverse. If unsuccessful, it may indicate a fault with the transfer case, needing professional attention.
In this article, we will take you through the symptoms of Range Rover stuck in low range, causes, and possible solutions.
What models are affected?
- Land Rover Defender
- Range Rover Discovery
- Range Rover Evoque
- Range Rover Sport
- Range Rover Velar
- Range Rover Vogue
Signs and symptoms
When your Range Rover is stuck in low range, you will notice the following symptoms:
- Difficulty in shifting the gear from low to high range
- Limited acceleration power
- Increased power consumption than usual
- The vehicle moves slowly, and it is hard to change direction.
Possible OBD codes
If you suspect that your Range Rover is stuck in low range, you can run a diagnostic check using the onboard diagnostic system (OBD).
Here are some codes that you may see on your OBD reader:
- P0826 – Up and down switch input circuit
- P2796 – Upshift/downshift switch circuit range/performance
- P17E1 – Automatic transmission shift controller module performance
- P1889 – Kickdown relay switch circuit
- P186D – Transfer case contact plate ‘B’ invalid signal
- P0809 – Up/down shift switch sense circuit
Buying guide: Best Land Rover OBD2 scanner tools
Common causes of being stuck in low gear
Several things can cause your Range Rover to get stuck in low gear.
Here are a few common reasons:
1. Poor maintenance of the transmission system
This is one of the leading causes of stuck gears.
If you do not take your vehicle for regular servicing, you are likely to experience transmission issues.
2. Mechanical issues with the shifter linkage
The shifter linkage may become faulty due to wear and tear, making it difficult to shift gears from low to high.
3. Malfunctioning of the transfer case actuator
The transfer case actuator controls the high-and-low range system, and if it fails, you are likely to get stuck in low gear.
4. Electrical fault
The high-and-low terrain response system is electronically controlled, and if there is a wiring issue, you may experience difficulties in shifting gears.
Can it be fixed without a mechanic?
If you are well-versed in car mechanics, you can fix some of the issues that cause stuck gears.
For instance, checking the transmission fluid levels, replacing the shifter linkage, or fixing the transfer case actuator does not require a professional mechanic.
However, if you are not mechanically aware, it is safer to seek the services of a professional.
Parts you’ll need to fix it
To fix your Range Rover that is stuck in low-range, you may need the following parts:
- Transfer case actuator
- Shifter linkage
- Transmission fluid
- Transmission filter
- Transmission gasket
Tools you’ll need to fix it
Here are some tools that you may need to fix your Range Rover that is stuck in low range:
- Wrench set
- Socket set
- Torque wrench
- Jack stands
- Floor Jack
Steps to fix it
- Use a floor jack and jack stands to raise your Range Rover.
- Locate the transfer case actuator and remove it from the vehicle.
- Install a new transfer case actuator and reassemble it.
- Check the transmission fluid level and condition. If the fluid is old, dirty, or low, replace it with fresh fluid.
- Check the shifter linkage, and if it is worn out, replace it.
- Test the high-and-low range system to confirm that the problem is fixed.
Potential alternative causes
While the above causes are the most common, there may be other causes of stuck gears, depending on the model and year of your Range Rover.
It is best to consult with a trained mechanic who will help diagnose and solve the problem.
In summary, Range Rover stuck in low range is a common problem that can be fixed by simple maintenance procedures or the replacement of some parts.
It is essential to take your Range Rover for regular servicing to prevent any mechanical or electrical faults that may cause such issues.
Last updated and verified on 6th September 2023