As an experienced Range Rover owner, I understand the importance of customizing and enhancing my vehicle’s interior.
One way to achieve this is by adjusting the ambient lighting, which can create a more comfortable and personalized atmosphere for both the driver and passengers.
In this article, I will provide a comprehensive guide on how to change ambient lighting in Range Rover.
What models are affected?
- Land Rover Defender
- Range Rover Discovery
- Range Rover Evoque
- Range Rover Sport
- Range Rover Velar
- Range Rover Vogue
Signs and symptoms
Before proceeding to change the ambient lighting, it is important to identify the signs and symptoms of a malfunctioning lighting system.
Some common indications include:
- The ambient lighting is not turning on or off
- The lighting is flickering or dimming intermittently
- The lighting has completely stopped functioning
List of possible OBD codes
To diagnose the issue, it is recommended to use an OBD scanner to retrieve any error codes.
Some possible codes related to ambient lighting issues in Range Rover include:
- B1009- Ambient Lighting Control Module
- U0197- Lost Communication with Ambient Lighting Control Module
- U0151- Lost Communication with Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Buying guide: Best Land Rover OBD2 scanner tools
Upon retrieving the error codes, it is important to identify the root cause of the issue.
Common causes of ambient lighting problems in Range Rover include:
- Faulty ambient lighting control module
- Loose or disconnected wiring
- Blown fuses
- Malfunctioning accessory protocol interface module
Can it be fixed without a mechanic?
Some minor issues like blown fuses or loose wiring can be fixed without the need for a mechanic.
However, more complicated issues like a faulty control module or API module may require professional intervention.
Parts you’ll need to fix it
To fix the ambient lighting, you may need to purchase some replacement parts.
These may include:
- Ambient Lighting Control Module (if faulty)
- Fuses (if blown)
- Wiring kit (if loose or disconnected wiring is identified)
Tools you’ll need to fix it
Here are the essential tools you’ll need to fix the ambient lighting:
- OBD scanner
- Wire strippers
- Soldering iron (if needed)
How to fix it
- Use an OBD scanner to retrieve any error codes related to the ambient lighting.
- Inspect the fuse box to check for any blown fuses. Replace any fuses that are blown.
- Use a multimeter to test the voltage levels of the ambient lighting control module. If the readings are outside the recommended range, replace the control module.
- Examine the wiring of the ambient lighting system. Replace or repair any loose or disconnected wiring.
- Test the API module (if applicable) using an OBD scanner. If it is faulty, replace the module.
- Reassemble any parts or panels that were removed during the inspection and repair process.
Potential alternative causes
Other potential causes of ambient lighting issues in Range Rover include:
- Corrosion or damage to the system’s ground connections
- Malfunctioning touchscreen display
- Vehicle speed and rain sensors interfering with the system
If the issue persists after following the above steps, it is recommended to seek professional assistance to diagnose and repair the problem.
How do I adjust the brightness of the ambient lighting in my Range Rover?
To adjust the brightness of the ambient lighting, access the vehicle’s infotainment system and navigate to the settings menu. From there, select “Interior lighting” and adjust the brightness using the on-screen slider.
How many ambient lighting colors are available in Range Rovers?
Range Rovers typically have several ambient lighting color options, including white, blue, red, and green. The exact options may vary depending on the specific model and year.
Can I install custom ambient lighting in my Range Rover?
Yes, there are various aftermarket options for adding custom ambient lighting to your Range Rover. These can include different colors and styles as well as advanced features like synchronized flashing to music or voice control.
Will changing the ambient lighting affect my Range Rover’s warranty?
Modifying any part of your Range Rover can potentially void the warranty, so it is important to consult with the dealership or manufacturer before making any changes.
Customizing the ambient lighting in your Range Rover can greatly enhance the driving experience for both you and your passengers. However, when issues arise, it is important to understand the signs, possible causes, and steps to fix the problem.
Using an OBD scanner, checking for blown fuses, examining wiring, and potentially replacing parts are all steps you can take to address ambient lighting issues. If problems persist, it is best to seek professional assistance to ensure your vehicle is functioning at its best.
Last updated and verified on 6th September 2023